Monday, 7 August 2017

Fiskarettes UK Facebook Altered Box ...


Hello my lovely friends and visitors, I hope your weekend was a good one and your week has started well. I’ve a project to share with you today that I created for the Fiskarettes UK page on Facebook. I have over the course of many years collected several, ahem! a lot, of little and not so little boxes and when I’ve altered them in the past I’ve not been too happy with the end results. So I decided to change the way I altered and coloured them and finally I am happy with the end result and here it is …

The finished sparkling box
A close up of the details
It has been a bit difficult getting these photographs because of the H2O watercolour paints lol!
The shimmer from the paints has removed some of the the little splatters
A final look

Luckily for me I can enter this into these Challenges
Altered Eclectics Challenge August Anything Goes

Creative Artiste Challenge #29 Mixed Media Anything Goes

Love to Create Challenge #16 Mixed Media Anything Goes


I was inspired by the beautiful blues and pink blossoms

MMW#27 Anything Goes twist use natural elements: sisal fibre
That’s Crafty Challenge Anything Goes but not a card


I am so happy that I have altered a box and that I am happy with the end result! This is the first one that came out right and it’s only taken me twenty odd years to figure out why I’ve never liked the end results before. When I decided I wanted to alter a box I also decided to try something different to what I usually do and I decided to photograph my step by steps just in case I was happy with and just in case I could use those photographs as a tutorial for my Fiskarettes post this weekend: I achieved a better than good end result because I am keeping it for me!

I found out that my previous issues with altering boxes were down to me not applying gesso, I feel so dumb about that now too lol! So I’ve finally found out why when I’ve altered boxes in the past that I haven’t been 100% happy with the end result of the patchy paint and it’s all down to applying a layer or two of white gesso. It stops the paint from seeping into the chipboard which stops the paint from looking patchy or dark on your finished project.

So I have added another tutorial to a page on my blog so that if I forget how I did it I have photographic and written instructions to remind me. I decided to use some of my air dry clay cherry blossom flowers, some natural sisal fibre and I use my Fiskars bee punch with snippets of watercolour paper and then I coloured my bees and cherry blossom flowers using watercolour paints.

I’m now going to start using some of the hoard of boxes that I own and converting them into pretty storage or gift boxes for family and friends. Thank you so much for taking the time to visit and comment. I really do appreciate it and I hope you get some time to do what you love to do soon ttfn Karen x









Tools
Fiskars Bee small lever punch; ink blending foam; detail paintbrush; water pot; Martha Stewart mould

Supplies
Substrates:
Small paper mache circle box and lid
Snippets: watercolour paper
EP Ink/Paint/Pen Colours:
Turquoise acrylic paintbrushes
H2O watercolour paints: gold; violet
Black watercolour pencil
Embellishments:
Sisal & Pearls from my stash
Adhesives/Mediums:
DecoArt white gesso
Pebeo matt medium gel
Air Dry Clay




8 comments:

Liz said...

A beautiful project, Karen, I love the added little bees. I haven't had any success with altering little boxes. Looks like I might need to get some white gesso. xx

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

Thank you for sharing your hand decorated Gift box Karen, it's full of shimmer and shine and those flowers are so delightful. Best wishes in the That's Crafty *Anything but Cards* Challenge. Tracey.

Lynda Hall said...

a really pretty box. I love the twinkling H2Os and they work so well on this. Thanks for playing along at Creative Artiste Mixed Media Challenge Blog this month
Lynda x

Cara said...

This is so pretty, love the little bees!

cuilliesocks said...

Absolutely gorgeous Karen, beautifully designed and decorated, love the pretty flowers, Kate x

Cindy Brown said...

Wow wow wow I'm in love. A big thank you for always participating in the challenge of Mixed Media Place.

Lou Sims said...

Fabulous project, full of detail, colour & texture. Many thanks for joining in with Love 2 Create Challenges 'Anything Goes' challenge. Lou (DT L2CC)

Arantzazu said...

so pretty mini box!
thanks for playing with us at MMP!
xxx